Like getting free books? Or, maybe you prefer being the one to spread the love by giving them away? The Filipino Reader Con is holding an event that may tickle your fancy: The Pinoy Book Drop!
Here are the instructions (as seen here):
1. Pick a book (or two, or three, or yes, four!) that you wish to give away, or that’s okay for you to part with, for one reason or another. Make sure to check the pages for important stuff – anything you may have inserted there and forgotten but you may want to hold on to.
2. Download and print the customized bookplates that you’ll find below these instructions. It doesn’t have to be in color – black and white will work just as fine! Paste or stick one bookplate on a clear page or area of the book/s that you wish to give away. Yes, you can sign your name there, too, if you want.
3. Leave or “drop” the book/s in a public place, or basically any place where people are sure to see them: in a café, in the office, at a restaurant, the gym, it’s up to you. (Well, maybe not inside a bookstore, yeah.) You know where someone is likely to see the book/s and pick it up, yes?
4. Before leaving the book/s where you “dropped” them, take a photo. If you’re leaving two or more books, be sure to take note of the date, time, and place where you left each one.
So how is everyone going to know that you have dropped a book somewhere? You can do any of the following:
(a) If you have a Twitter account, just tweet the title of the book, where and when you dropped it, and attach the appropriate photo. If you dropped two or more books, tweet about each title separately.
(b) You can also post about it on Facebook – on your own profile/timeline, if it’s set to public, OR on the Filipino ReaderCon page itself. Same details apply: title of the book, place and date of the drop, and photo. If you’re dropping two or more books, you have the option to include all the books in one go or post about the books individually. It’s up to you.
IMPORTANT: Please use the hashtags #pbdrop and #filreadercon and don’t forget to tag us at @PinoyReaderCon for every tweet!
5. The actual dropping of books will take place for an entire week, from October 21 – 27, but if you have your book/s ready for dropping before then, that’s good too – just go ahead and drop them. We will post another set of instructions for this activity on the third Filipino Friday, October 25th.
6. On the other hand, if you’re one of those who are lucky enough to find a dropped book, we encourage you to tell us all about it, as well! Tweet and Facebook any dropped book that you find – same instructions on using the hashtags #pbdrop and #filreadercon and tagging us at @PinoyReaderCon apply.
Oh, and here are the Pinoy Book Drop bookplates courtesy of the lovely Tina.
Additional Instructions: Interested to know who found your book? Just stick or attach a note addressed to your book’s new owner to Tweet or post on Facebook about his/her newest find. As usual, hashtags #pbdrop and #filreadercon and tagging @PinoyReaderCon are encouraged.
Got it? Let’s do the Pinoy Book Drop! See you again on the third week of Filipino Fridays!